woensdag 19 januari 2011

Afternoon song

Photograph: Russian by Mooreno

Though your wicked eyebrows call
Your nature into question
(Unangelic's their suggestion,
Witch whose eyes enthrall)

I adore you still
O foolish terrible emotion
Kneeling in devotion
As a priest to his idol will.

Your undone braids conceal
Desert, forest scents,
In your exotic countenance
Lie secrets unrevealed.

Over your flesh perfume drifts
Like incense 'round a censor,
Tantalizing dispenser
Of evening's ardent gifts.

No Philtres could compete
With your potent idleness:
You've mastered the caress
That raises dead me to their feet.

Your hips themselves are romanced
By your back and by your breasts:
By your languid dalliance.

Now and then, your appetite's
Uncontrolled, unassuaged:
Mysteriously enraged,
You kiss me and you bite.

Dark one, I am torn
By your savage ways,
Then, soft as the moon, your gaze
Sees my tortured heart reborn.

Beneath your satin shoe,
Beneath your charming silken foot.
My greatest joy I put
My genius and destiny, too.

You bring my spirit back,
Bringer of the light.
Exploding color in the night
Of my Siberia so black.

Charles Baudelaire

Oh how i dó love the poems of Baudelaire. So much! In it's original language it's so hunting. Beautiful dark, hypnotic words....... More translated Baudelaire poems you can find here.

6 opmerkingen:

  1. Monica,

    I keep forgetting about this blog here, but I'm glad I saw the post this time!

    The photo and the poem are both beautiful!

    I hope all is well with you. Still no mail here yet!

    xoxo,
    Brian

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Monica - as I was reading this dark wild beautiful poem I was thinking - this must be Baudelaire! I didn't recognize it in English. You are right, in French it is haunting - or hunting - or both!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Excelente fotografia!
    el texto luego intentare traducirlo, pero no podia dejar de decir quee esa foto me encanto.

    Un beso desde Argentina.
    Facu.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Hi Brian,
    tnx for commenting. Yes my blogs next to the Signals blog are more quiet. And they should be. Nice quiet places.

    Luckily the mail now has arrived. It took so long! I sended it before Xmas. :-s

    xoxo

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Haha, dear Gabriella,
    yes i meant haunting ofcourse. Naturally the original language is the most beautiful. But i also read Baudelaire in english and dutch to check if i did understand his words completely. Anoter favourite poet of mine is the dutch Bertus Aafjes. His poems have the same heartbeat and haunting shadows as Baudelaires (i think).

    Sweet greetz and kisses!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Hello Facu and welcome. Thank you for commenting. :-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen